My children gave me the Jamie Oliver Every Day Super Food Cookbook a couple of years ago. The tag line is ‘Recipes for a Healthier You’ which obviously fits with my lifestyle. I love reading Cook Books so I have been guilty of just looking at the beautiful photography and not actually selecting a recipe to make. The recipes are simple to make and the book provides ideas for Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Snacks that look good, taste great and most importantly make eating healthier enjoyable.
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe and health benefits of Sweet Potato and Lentils in my post, Slow Cooked Moroccan style Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup . I was looking through Jamie’s book (yes, we are on first name terms LOL! ), and found a recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins Chilli, Cheese & Seeds, which I modified to use ingredients in my pantry. I’ve written my version of the recipe here so feel free to ‘freestyle’ if you don’t have all the ingredients and let me know what you came up with.
Sweet Potato Savoury Muffins – Makes 12
300 gm sweet potato
2 spring onions (shallots)
1 teaspoon chilli paste or 1-2 red fresh chillis
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons of grated cheese- I used tasty
2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
125gm wholemeal self raising flour
- Preheat oven
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin you can also line with baking paper or paper cases of 15cm folded squares
- Peel and grate the sweet potato into large bowl
- Trim and slice spring onions finely and add to bowl
- Add chilli
- Add eggs, cheese, flour, parmesan and season with sea salt and black pepper
- Mix until combined
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin tray or paper cases
- Sprinkle with grated cheese
- Bake at bottom of oven for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown. My oven cooks quite fast so they only took 35 minutes
- Let cool in muffin pan
- Enjoy! It’s hard to stop at one!