Creating Christmas Memories is a lovely way to teach children about tradition and the importance of family. Children & Grandchildren are what make Christmas so special. The excitement of building up to Christmas Day and perhaps what Santa will bring, the look of wonder when they see the Christmas lights.
Now that I am a grandmother I want to continue traditions with my grandson that I had with his mother and uncle when they were growing up.
When my children were growing up, each year I would buy them a special decoration for them to hang on the Christmas Tree. It was a way to mark each year. I had some decorations from when I was a child which I have given to my children and it is lovely to keep the tradition going.
Now that I have grandchildren, I do the same. For their first Christmas I usually buy a bauble with their name engraved on it plus a Christmas Teddybear with the year of their first Christmas.
I have special ones for each of them on my tree – an crystal angel for Lexie, a crystal christmas tree for Harry and a crystal candy cane for Camden.
Last year, my youngest grandson, Ethan, is 18 months old so I have bought him a Santa decoration for the tree. Although he is young, he knows which are his decorations.
I would also like to think that when they look at them each year, they remember me and how much I love them.
I think as grandparents it is lovely to have a tradition with your grandchildren which hopefully they will continue into the future.
Here are some other suggestions to create memories….
- Perhaps you like to make the Christmas cake or pudding and let them have a stir.
- Visiting the City to see the giant Christmas tree and shops decorated with story themes and Christmas lights.
- Having a trimming the tree night or day for the grandchildren to visit and decorate your tree.
- Making decorations together as a craft time.
- For those who don’t live near their grandchildren, why not send an individual Christmas Card? Children will be excited to receive a card in the mail (which is slowly dying due to internet) that is just for them.This year, I sent our two oldest grandchildren a Christmas Card and mentioned how proud we were of their school achievements this year.
These are some lovely ways to create memories with your grandchildren although there are many more if you get creative!