Staying fit and healthy is an integral part of being a Woman Living Well After 50. If we have our health and fitness we can maintain independent living and an active lifestyle.
My WOTY is TIME and sometimes we just don’t make the time to move our bodies consistently. It is all about looking at moving our bodies as part of our normal lifestyle. That means dedicating time each day to MOVE. My advice is always to do movement that you enjoy which will help you to stay consistent and motivated. Dancing, swimming, cycling, yoga, pilates, gym, Zumba the list is endless.
moving your body is not just good for your physical health but also your mental health and well
However, for a complete program and to remain strong and healthy on the inside and outside we need to incorporate the following types of movement:
- Resistance (Strength) training – you can use body weight, light weights but we need to build strength in order to maintain our functional fitness to cope with daily life – lifting, carrying groceries, hanging the washing – they all require strength. Strength training increases bone strength which reduces the risk of osteoporosis and ease joint pain.
- Cardio/Aeriobic exericses to maintain heart health
- Balance – to reduce the risk of falls
- Flexibility – to be able to continue to bend and stretch
- Meditation or Mindfulness for our mental health and well being.
I’ve put together some free videos that are quick and easy and will be adding more over time. They are all done in my living room and are basic workouts to get you started. You can do them once through, or if you are feeling more energetic repeat the videos. I’m hoping to cover all aspects of workouts including cardio, strength, balance and flexibility, meditation, stretching. I’m keeping them geared towards beginners although you can adjust them if you are more advanced.
- If you are just a beginner or haven’t exercised for some time you MUST get a clearance from your doctor before doing any form of exercise.
- Go at your pace to avoid injury. It’s not a competition
- These are FREE videos as my gift of supporting women Over 50. They may not be as professional as some but I’d like to think they are relevant and helpful. I am a qualified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor currently working for Strong Healthy Women.
I hope you enjoy them and l’d love to hear your feedback and if you tried them out.
You can find the workouts under the RESOURCES section of the blog or just click the image below. They are also Women Living Well After 50 Youtube channel