Wellness Wednesday this week is a healthy recipe!
Mr M and I have decided to get back to trying new recipes and that includes healthier options that still taste delicious. We discovered Mexican bowls in Banff, Canada (would you believe?) and have wanted to re-create them at home. This week we decided it was time and so we did! The results were delicious and looked so colourful. I will definitely be putting this recipe on our regular menu.
Why is this healthy?
This bowl is packed full of goodness and nutrition and the ingredients are those eaten in Blue Zones Communities. Blue Zones are regions of the world thought to have a higher than usual number of people live much longer than average.
Quinoa – gluten free, full of anti-oxidants, high in fibre, good source of protein
Avocado – fibre, potassium, Vitamins B6 & C, boots your mood, folate, contains good fats that your body needs
Chickpeas – regulates blood sugar, promotes heart health, fibre, Vitamin B
Baby Spinach – vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, potassium which lowers blood pressure and reduces risk of stroke and heart disease.
We had pulled pork which was left over from the night before so I used that. In future, I will use chicken or just the vegetables. Just use your imagination and design your own signature dish.
1 x Tomato
1 x Red Onion
1 x Spring Onion (Shallot)
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon Lime Juice
1/2 teaspoon Cummin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Olive oil to combine seasonings.
Salt & Black Cracked Pepper to taste
Main Bowl Ingredients
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 x small tin of corn kernels
- 1 tin 4 bean mix
- 1 packet of Brown Rice & Quinoa – 90 secs in microwave pack
- Meat of your choice (optional)
- Chop tomato, onion and spring onions into small pieces and throw into a bowl.
- Mix lemon, lime juices, cummin, coriander, garlic and salt/pepper with some olive oil
- Add to tomato mix and combine adding more olive oil if needed
- Prep the Brown Rice & Quinoa – I used one that was 90 seconds in the microwave. Allow to cool.
- If using meat/chicken cook and allow to cool.
- Spoon the Brown Rice & Quiona over bottom of serving bowl. I didn’t use the whole packet only about 2/3 or the pack
- Layer the baby spinach over the Brown Rice and Quinoa
- Add spoonfuls of the salsa, corn, mixed beans, sliced avocado and meat and arrange around the bowl – be creative it’s your bowl.
Have you tried Mexican Bowls? What would you put in yours?
This recipe is my contribution to the monthly What’s On Your Plate Blog Challenge co-hosted by Donna from Retirement Reflections and Deb, The Widow Badass.
Pop over and visit Donna and Deb and the other contributors to see What’s On their plate this month.