I’ve just read my friend Donna from Retirement Reflections’ post about her Word of the Year and I think the word she has chosen is perfect for us all. It is usual for this time of year to see many posts and articles about selecting a Word of the Year (WOTY) to guide you and to give you a focus for the year ahead.
Listen to the Podcast Episode
Each year from 2016 I’ve chosen a WOTY and I’ve usually selected my word as early as November. My previous WOTY have included:
- 2016 I wanted to find more BALANCE in my life.
- 2017 I wanted to SIMPLIFY.
- 2018 I wanted to THRIVE and in
- 2019 I chose two words – COMMIT AND EVOLVE.
- 2020 I chose a statement – MAKE IT HAPPEN
- 2021 I chose to put the focus on SELF and where I was placing my energy ‘I needed to embrace my SELF and live my life with the focus of keeping what SERVES me WELL and LETTING GO of what is holding me back and making me feel trapped in life‘
However, this time I didn’t even think I would have a WOTY until one came to me over the last few days. During the last week of 2021 I wrote two posts – a reflective post on my 2021 – 2021 a year in review – did I live up to my WOTY? and Make 2022 the year of Living Life YOUR Way a contemplative post.
As I wrote these posts, a word kept coming to mind. A very simple word, yet a word that covers every aspect of life and the perfect focus word for me after an extremely stressful 2021. Mr M and I have come out the other side and are very much looking forward to living life and enjoying our life together without ‘the cloud’ (as I termed it) hanging over us. We are making plans and for me I’ve never seen him as relaxed in our 28 years together which is wonderful to see.
So what is my WOTY? It is simple -‘BE’.
A small word yet a word with impact
Only two letters yet my WOTY can pack a punch and impact my life in many ways:
- Be present
- Be active
- Be healthy
- Be kind
- Be generous
- Be at peace
- Just ‘Be’
- Let it ‘Be’ (for the Beatles fans)
- Be authentic
- Be brave
- Be courageous
- Be BOLD (which was my friend Deb from Deb’s World 2021 WOTY)
The list goes on but I think you get the idea.
The most important focus for me is to ‘BE ME’ recognising and accepting who I am as an individual. Striving to live life my way without fear of what others may say or think (not always easy).