Do you hold back doing things in your life because you worry about what others might say?
Do you feel embarrassed to shine your light or follow your dream in case others don’t agree?
Do you hold back because you feel you might fail?
If you answered Yes, then you might have the condition known as FOPO. No it isn’t life threatening but it is something that will stop you living your life on your own terms.
What is FOPO? Fear of Other People’s Opinion
I experience FOPO and I’m sure if you are honest you do too. At the moment, I’m working on new projects and at times let FOPO take over. Sometimes it is difficult to let go of this feeling BUT when we have the courage to follow what is important to us, our gut instinct, our purpose, life does become simpler. We can spend our energy on enjoying our life rather than explaining our ‘why’ to others who may or may not understand. If I had let FOPO stand in my way, I would never have started this blog, I would never have pressed the GO LIVE button on my podcast.
It’s your life and you deserve to live it your way..#liveyourlifenow
How to live your life on your terms
You actually know what to do, it isn’t rocket science. Sometimes though we need a gentle reminder to pull us back on track to living well – living a fulfilled life. We are human and with that comes all of the emotions, including self-doubt, self-belief and a low self-confidence. So I’m just going to list what I do to stay on track, work towards my goals and dreams and be a Woman Living Well After 50.
- Define your own purpose – what brings you joy? what do you like to do? what energises you?
- Define and Live your Core Values – what is important to you in the way you live your life? what is your moral compass?
- Know your ‘Why and write it down and live it.
- Find your Cheerleaders to support and encourage you in living a life that is right for you, with no judgement.
- Cut the Cord to those who are sending negative energy your way.
- Let Go of who or what isn’t serving you well in life. This might even be YOU! Our limiting beliefs which may have formed in our earlier life can certainly hold us back from living the life we want or achieving our goals. You might also like to listen to or watch my Podcast interview with Candi Randolph from Inspire My Style as we discuss Overcoming Limiting beliefs and rebuilding your self-confidence after 50
- Take time to focus on yourself, your needs and your desires. Making time to focus on YOU and giving yourself the nurturing self-care and attention you need will not only help us to focus on what we want from life but it nourishes our mind, body and soul.
- Be Brave – Believe in YOU and recognise the qualities that give you inner strength.
There is great power in living as our whole true self and not feeling pulled in directions by other people.