If you are a regular reader you know that I love to run and despite a health hiccup over the last few months I surprised myself last weekend by running another Half Marathon in the River Run 100 event in Brisbane. I’m fortunate that with regular workouts and training, my body and joints are good, especially at 66. However, I don’t take things for granted and ensure that I do all I can living a healthy lifestyle to maintain healthy joints over 60 and relieve any mild osteoarthritis such as joint aches, pains and stiffness.
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that mainly affects the cartilage, the protective cushioning between bones in a joint. It is the most common form of arthritis and often occurs in the knees, hips, hands, and spine.
Did you know that
1 in 8 Australians suffer from osteoarthritis
Globally, osteoarthritis is the 3rd most rapidly rising disability, behind diabetes & dementia.
As a runner in my mid 60s I am always vigilant about my joints and how they function. I need to ensure my joints and bones remain strong. As we age, especially during and post menopause our bones can become brittle. We need to keep our bones strong to reduce the risk of Osteoporosis and also to help prevent breaking bones if we fall.
Recently, I was given a new supplement, Abexol from Raydel to try and provide an honest review. I’ve been taking it daily for about a month or so. If you follow me, you know I had some health issues and couldn’t do any strenuous exercise for 8 weeks. I started taking Abexol during this time.
I don’t usually take supplements, however, I thought I would give it a try after reading up on the brand and product, especially as I hadn’t been doing any strenuous exercise (under doctor’s orders) for a few months. I also noticed that Australian cricketers Mitchell Stark and Alyssa Healy also use Abexol so I was in good company.
I took 1 tablet per day although depending on your condition the dosage recommendation is 1 – 2 tablets per day. It’s always difficult to know if it is a placebo affect or not, but since taking Abexol, my recovery has been much faster and my body felt wonderful after my long run. I couldn’t believe that having not run for 8 weeks, I rant 21.1kms and the next day walked to and from the shops – no hobbling around!
An added benefit of Abexol it helps maintain stomach health and a healthy gut is important for healthy living.
Abexol is the only osteoarthritis (OA) treatment which uses beeswax alcohols, thus avoiding the numerous side-effects and issues that users encounter with other supplements. It was first tested as a gastrointestinal issues (GI) treatment, but so many participants started talking about their joint relief that the focus for research soon shifted – however it has TGA approval for both OA and GI issues.
- Abexol is the only beeswax-alcohols-based product registered by the TGA in Australia to treat mild arthritis and osteoarthritis and support stomach health.
- Abexol is registered with the TGA to help enhance healthy joint function, relieve symptoms of mild osteoarthritis such as mild joint aches, pains, and stiffness, help improve joint mobility, and maintain stomach and gastrointestinal system health.
- Each tablet contains 50 mg of Beeswax alcohol with no added yeast, salt, gluten, artificial flavours or sweeteners. The dosage is one to two tablets daily.
- Abexol is available at selected pharmacies or online at https://www.raydel.com.au/product/abexol
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Joints After 60
As we age, it becomes increasingly important to maintain healthy joints to support mobility and overall well-being. Here are some tips to help you maintain healthy joints over the age of 60:
- Stay Active: Regular exercise is crucial for maintaining joint health. Engage in low-impact activities for at least 30 minutes most days of the week, as recommended by your healthcare professional.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Excess weight puts additional stress on the joints, particularly the knees and hips. Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the risk of joint problems and alleviate existing joint pain. A balanced diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Protect Your Joints: When engaging in physical activities or tasks that may strain your joints, take appropriate precautions. Use proper body mechanics and techniques while lifting heavy objects, avoid repetitive movements that may put stress on the joints, and use supportive gear, such as knee pads or wrist braces, if necessary.
- Maintain Good Posture: Proper posture is essential for joint health. Practice good alignment while sitting, standing, and walking. This helps distribute the weight evenly across the joints, reducing unnecessary stress.
- Eat a Balanced Diet: A healthy diet plays a significant role in maintaining joint health. Consume foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fatty fish (salmon, tuna), nuts, and seeds, as they possess anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, ensure an adequate intake of calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients that support bone and joint health.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking enough water is essential for overall health and joint function. Stay hydrated throughout the day to keep your joints lubricated and prevent stiffness.
- Use Joint Supplements: Consult with your healthcare professional about the potential benefits of joint supplements.
- Listen to Your Body: If you experience joint pain or discomfort, it’s essential to pay attention to your body’s signals. Don’t ignore persistent joint pain, swelling, or stiffness. Seek advice from a healthcare professional who can recommend appropriate treatment options.
Remember, these suggestions are general guidelines. It’s always a good idea to consult with your healthcare professional for personalized advice based on your specific health needs.
Please note: I was given the product for free in exchange for my opinion. I have not been paid and have given my honest thoughts about the product.