Hot flushes, vaginal dryness, mood swings, irregular periods – sound familiar? Many of us have experienced these symptoms with the onset of menopause. Some women are fortunate enough to have mild symptoms but for those who are experiencing severe symptoms this time of life can be a living nightmare.
Welcome to Episode 6 of Conversations with Women Living Well After 50 and the topic for discussion today is “Understanding Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)”
Please note that this discussion should not be taken as medical advice but rather one woman’s experience and to provide information. If menopause symptoms are bothering you please seek medical advice from your doctor or Menopause specialist.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
I’m delighted to welcome my guest, Sally from FitFab Fiftyish to share her story and experience with Hormone Replacement Therapy. Sally, is a woman who is enthusiastic and excited by life after 50. Her experience of menopause was difficult and she undertook extensive research to find ways to ease the symptoms.
I’ve listed the questions I put to Sally below and also included the link to the full YouTube interview.
- Can you briefly describe your personal experience with Menopause?
- What are some other symptoms of menopause?
- You have mentioned to me in a previous conversation that Menopause for you was a very challenging time. What treatment options did you seek to alleviate the symptoms? Were there any side effects?
- When I was going through Menopause, I had heard various opinions around HRT and some of it wasn’t good. Why do you think HRT has a bad reputation?
- From your experience and research can you provide information on what some of the myths about HRT?
- Some women prefer a more natural approach rather than the traditional approach. Are there natural remedies available?
- Do you have any specific advice for women bothered by the symptoms during menopause?
- What does being a Woman Living Well After 50 mean to you?
Links to HRT Resources mentioned in the interview
“The M Word” by Dr Ginni Mansberg
“The XX Brain” by Dr Lisa Mosconi
Balance App for Menopause by Dr Louise Newson
Find an Australian doctor with advanced knowledge in menopause:
Sally writes about wellbeing in midlife at her blog Fit Fab Fiftyish. She’s passionate about encouraging women to be active, creative and joyful in this empowering time of life.
Sally lives in Melbourne where she works in a support role in healthcare. She’s an empty-nester, a yogi and loves nothing more than getting out on her Stand Up Paddleboard.
Connect with Sally