TIME is my Word of the Year and as I reflect on what this means to me, I realise that there comes a TIME in our life where we need to live authentically. We need to let go, accept what has been and move forward to live well, be happy and contented.
I recently shared my WOTY and how I wanted to use my TIME wisely in this New Year. However, if I continue to hold on to those things that hold me back in life, I’m wasting my TIME and missing out on living well and enjoying the joyous moments life brings.
Happiness is the theme for the month and experience has taught me that unless I let go of things that hold me back and accept what has been, I am unable to move forward and find happiness.
Do you ever feel like something is holding you back from actually getting on with life?
Something gnawing away at the back of your mind or in your heart that just won’t let you go?
Something or someone holding you back from happiness?
Most of us at some time in our life need to go through the process of letting go. It might be letting go of
- our limiting beliefs and inner critic,
- a loved one who has passed away,
- a toxic relationship
- the negativity in our life.
Finding happiness by letting go
We all have dreams and want to move forward with our lives but until we fully let go of what is holding us back, we will stay in the same place.
- Sometimes letting go can be painful or requires change and that is why we resist it.
- Sometimes our limiting beliefs learned early on in life are holding us back from finding happiness and contentment
- Perhaps we feel guilty ‘letting go’ of a loved one who has died, because we fear with time our memories of them will fade, or we don’t want to face the finality.
- Perhaps we are harbouring resentment and bitterness which is twisting us up inside and preventing us from being happy.
- Perhaps we fear the future or change and so reluctantly hold on to something which is not healthy for our mental and spiritual health.
- Perhaps we have been taught not to give up but sometimes we need to walk away from unhealthy relationships no matter how hard it may be.
Until we accept what is holding us back and make the decision to ‘let go’ we will never move forward. We will never feel happy and contentedSue Loncaric, Women Living Well After 50
6 Reasons it’s TIME to Let Go, Accept & Move Forward
There are many benefits to letting go.
1. Improved mental & physical state
Once you let go you immediately feel a load has been lifted from your shoulders. You feel lighter in body and mind. The cloud hanging over you has gone.
Letting go and accepting paves the way for a positive future with new possibilities
3. You deserve to be happy
You will never be happy if you are holding resentment, or trying to hold onto something that is no longer there. You deserve happiness in life and ‘letting go’ is the start to a new and exciting future.
4. No Regrets
Research has shown that living without regrets may be a key to healthy aging http://www.livescience.com/19788-regrets-healthy-aging.html
5. Less stress and anxiety
When you let go and accept you feel less stressed and anxious. Your blood pressure lowers and your immune system improves.
6. Improved self-esteem
You have made a decision and can now move forward in your life. You had the courage to take that decision even though it may have been frightening or painful.