We hear about Core Strength and how it is important for a strong body but do you know what the Core is and how to strengthen it?
Do you know why you need it?
Your Core is more than just your Abs
Your Core is made up of muscles in your abdomen, pelvic floor, lumbar spine and hip flexors and hip abductors. It is surrounded by the abdomen, pelvis, lower back and diagphram so the term ‘Core’ shouldn’t be confused as just your ‘abs’.
Why is Core Strength Important?
Core muscle strength and stability affects the quality of our daily life – moving, stretching, bending, lifting, carrying your groceries. All of these activities need a strong and stable core and that means more than just pulling in your tummy.
Core stability is responsible for good posture and the ability to lift heavy objects without injury and helps with balance, which in turn will help to prevent falls as we age. Usually the muscles turn on automatically however, if your Core is weak, you can sustain injury easily especially in the lower back. It also avoids injury when exercising, playing sport or running. A weak core can limit your mobility and there is an increased risk of falls.
A strong core takes the pressure of having your bones support your body weight plus it helps you maintain good posture.
A strong core is important when we age to avoid ligament and joint damage particularly in the back.
The Benefits of including Core Exercises as we age
- Preserves muscle mass to keep us strong – age related loss of muscle mass is called sarcopenia and is a natural part of ageing. But from age 30 we begin to lose 3% to 5% of our muscle mass per decade. Less muscle means we become weaker and have less mobility.
- Reduces risk of falls and injury – A 2015 report from the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research found that people with sarcopenia had 2.3 times the risk of having a low-trauma fracture from a fall, such as a broken hip, collarbone, leg, arm, or wrist.
- Reduces back pain
- Makes daily life easier as we age – it enables us to stay mobile and active
- Improves posture and balance
- Be an active and healthy grandparent – I want to be able to lift my grandchildren and be an active ‘Nan’.
Not sure where to start? It’s never too late.
If you read my blog you will know that I’m a Trainer in the Strong Healthy Women Virtual Studio. Peta Gillian, founder of SHW is offering a 5 day Stronger Core Stronger Body Challenge starting 24th January, 2022. It’s designed to improve your core, posture, and strengthen your body from the inside out…If you’re looking for a way to learn the foundations and kick-start your fitness and generally feel better, you’ll want to REGISTER FOR THE 5-Day Stronger Core Stronger Body Challenge.
- The 5-Day Stronger Core Stronger Body Challenge is totally going to change how you function in daily activities, minimise stress on your body and reduce your susceptibility to injury.
- Get clearer on the exercises that support your pelvic floor, and core, that could be aggravating your back or neck pain so you grow stronger in your body’s capabilities.
- Easy to follow step-by-step guidance and workouts no matter what your level, even if you’ve never exercised or you’ve been out of the routine for years.