Are you ready? Yes you are!
If you have opened this post then you have decided to make some changes in your lifestyle to Get Active & Feel Alive! I’m excited to be sharing #ActiveApril with you. I will be doing it too so I’ll need to be accountable to the group as well!
#ActiveApril Week 1
Week 1 is all about getting into a routine and understanding our starting point so we can see our progress over the coming weeks.
This post is long but it contains all the information you will need for the next 4 weeks. If you are truly committed to becoming healthier and active then take the time to understand how the process will work.
I will also be adding reminders to the Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond – Let’s Thrive Facebook Group to guide you.
REMEMBER: Check with your doctor if you haven’t exercised for a while and get the OK to start. I am not a professional but a guide to support you.
Week 1 – The Plan
Consider your goal and commit to it
Why are you participating in #ActiveApril?
What do you want to achieve?
Write down your answers and look at them regularly.
The following will form the basis of our weekly workouts.
- Take our measurements – See resources section below for how to take measurements. – Week 1 and end of Week 4
- According to the American National Heart, Lung and Blood institute waist circumferences measurements higher than 102cm or 40 inches for men or higher than 88cm or 35 inches for women indicate obesity as a risk factor for cardiovascular and metabolic disease.
- Select and try on an outfit that is a bit snug that you will try on each week. You can weigh yourself if you wish but scales can add pressure. You will know if you are losing weight when you try on your outfit each week.
- Keep a food diary – Week 1
- Record your daily activity. This will include your physical activity as well as ways you exercise your brain and connect with your spiritual side.- Weeks 1 – 4
- Daily activity Monday to Saturday – 20 – 30 minutes of physical activity including a 5 minutes of Warm up and 5 minutes of Stretching after your Workout.
- If you already have a program or personal trainer and prefer to work to that then go for it! It is all about being active.
- If you don’t have a regular exercise program then follow this:
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday – Strong Healthy Woman Video (see below) + Stretching
- Tuesday/Thursday- Cardio such as walking, running, cycling or swimming + Stretching. Cardio means increasing the heart rate so a brisk walk not a stroll.
- Saturday – Mindfulness Walk or Yoga
- Sundays – Rest & Recovery days
- DON’T OVERDO IT IF YOU ARE NEW TO EXERCISING
- Daily Mental Exercise – 20 minutes for puzzles, crosswords or anything that makes you think. Weeks 1 – 4
- Daily Spiritual Connection – 10 – 20 minutes to reflect, pray, meditate or journal Weeks 1 – 4
- Drink Water – CLICK HERE FOR THE STRONG HEALTH WOMAN WATER CHEAT SHEET
Food diary and why we need it!
Complete the Food Diary daily for seven days. Record everything you eat and don’t cheat. Click HERE to Download your Food Diary.
Why keep a food diary?
- A food diary helps you become aware of what you are eating and how much you are eating, and the type of food you are eating.
- Nutritionists and dietitians uses a food diary to assess your diet and for the purpose of setting goals.
- It can be hard to remember what you’ve eaten at the end of the day so it’s best to record things as you go.
- Even if you think you have a great diet, you may be surprised how often hidden calories sneak into your day.
Complete the Workout sheet for five days, including physical, mental and spiritual activity. Don’t forget to record your wins and don’t be ashamed to record your struggles. Click HERE to download your worksheet.
Strong Healthy Women Video – I Am Strong You will need some handweights for some of the videos
Warm Up Exercise Examples CLICK HERE
Stretching Examples CLICK HERE
How to take Body Measurements CLICK HERE
Exercising your Brain – Need some ideas for puzzles, crosswords? CLICK HERE
Spiritual Connection – I’ve provided a link with several Mindfulness Apps you could try. CLICK HERE
Yoga – I love Yoga with Adriene. I follow her on YouTube and do my practice at home. CLICK HERE
Don’t forget to check into the Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond Facebook Group each Friday. If you aren’t on social media, just leave a comment on the Weekly Planning post.