When I read the writing prompts in #FridayReflections, the one that stood out to me was “Reflect back on 2015 – the highs and lows, the good and the not so good, the surprises and changes.”
This year has been a roller coaster ride with many highs and fortunately not too many lows but I’ve made it through and feel stronger and happier than ever.
I started the year feeling a little lost. We had returned from a great holiday in Quebec and New York late last year and after our Christmas festivities, I was at a loose end. Retirement was not really my ‘cup of tea’ or the retirement I was experiencing wasn’t.
Let’s start with the Highs
- I started a blog to encourage other women experiencing midlife to ride the wave of midlife with me. I’ve met some wonderful people through my blog and I’m happy to report that a survey I did showed that most of us are happy to have reached midlife and looking forward to the ride.
- We purchased our future home on the Gold Coast which we will eventually retire to, but can enjoy a few days each week now. We have our life back and are enjoying each other with quality time.
- I spent each Tuesday with my darling Grandson, Ethan and have developed a beautiful relationship with him. I am learning to see the simple pleasures of life through his eyes.
- I started to find some balance in my life – which is something I’m always preaching about.
- I stayed fit, healthy and ran a 2 half marathons
- I attended my 40 year high school reunion and made new friends with women I had hardly known at school.
Now I need to face the Lows
I was fortunate that there were really only two lows in my life this year but I learned from these experiences.
- Trying to adjust to this new world of ‘Retirement’ was a low. It took me all of last year and part of this year to really feel comfortable with life. I had felt lost and that is one of the reasons I started the blog to help others.
- Firstly the loss of a very dear friend and then a few weeks later the death of my brother. Both were struck down with the big ‘C’ and I still can’t believe they have gone. Some life lessons here on living each day and appreciating life.
So what did I learn reflecting on this year, 2015
I Can Conquer Self Doubt
I took a deep breath and started a blog which I had always wanted to do but was too scared to try. What would people think? Maybe no one would read it? Well I’m getting closer to my first anniversary and I’ve realised that I can do it! I’ve made many friends through blogging and it has given me the interest and outlet that I needed in my life to give me purpose.
I learned to feel the grief and then move forward
Grief unfortunately is a part of life and everyone has a unique experience. We need to take time out to feel the grief and then slowly move forward in a positive way
I learned to appreciate who I am
Writing the blog has given me confidence and helped me to learn who I am and what I like about myself. I have recently read the 28 Day Creative Self Love Book and am slowing realising that I’m not that bad after all and I still have a lot to give.
I learned to Appreciate Life
Life is so precious and it can be taken from us at any moment. I haven’t lost anyone close to me for 30 years so this year’s losses have really brought home to me how precious life is.
I learned to FLY
Life is for Living and I’ve decided to grab it with both hands and fly.
I learned that Change is GOOD
Most of us fear change but really if we look at it positively it is good for us. Change encourages us to grow and adapt and to add to the richness of our lives.
I learned to be Kind to Me
I learned to accept who I am and that although I’m not perfect, I’m a good person. I learned not to be so hard on myself and to be kind to me and nurture myself more.I've learned to ride the wave of midlife with positivity, fun & laughterClick To Tweet
What I need to work on….
- Taking my own advice and learning to say ‘NO’ – this is still difficult for me but I keep trying
- Finding balance in my life – I’m not quite there yet, just ask my darling husband!
What are your highs and lows this year? What will you work on to improve your life next year?Click To Tweet
Let’s Keep Sizzling!