ACTIVE AUGUST starts tomorrow in the Women Living Well After 50 Facebook Group! Will you join the challenge to get active every day?
Why do we need to move?
It has been suggested Sitting for long periods this the new smoking and there is growing evidence that it can lead to health issues such as obesity and high blood pressure to abnormal cholesterol levels and even risk for heart disease and cancer. So let’s do something about it!
It’s never too late to start and you can read how I regained my fitness after 50 HERE. I haven’t always been fit!
We are sitting ourselves to death,” says James Levine, a professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic.Dr james Levine
The Active August Challenge
- 30 minutes for 31 days.
- You can do whatever you want as long as you are off the couch and moving for 30 minutes day.
- Each day I’ll be posting into the Facebook Group for you to check in with a photo or comment of how you moved.
- Watch for blog posts and in the Facebook Group and Instagram for inspiration and motivation
- Use the challenge to try something new
- Mix it up – vary how you move each day to keep you interested
31 ways to move more each day
There are so many ways we can move and the key to any type of exercise is to find something that you enjoy. This month though let’s incorporate some new ways to move to mix it up a little with your normal routine. We should also incorporate functional fitness, strength training to improve bone density, posture and strength to perform our normal daily tasks such as bending, lifting, reaching etc.
I’ve come up with 31 ways to move but you might be able to add to the list.
- Go for a walk
- Do some yoga
- Take a mindfulness walk
- Hula Hoop
- Tai Chi
- Take the stairs
- Mountain Biking
- Trail running
- Take a Strong Healthy Women class with me
- Spin class
- Gym workout
- Barre class
- Gardening – yes it can be a workout!
- Housework – put the music on full volume and work it out
- Play with your grandchildren
- Use the park equipment
- Do some pushups, squats and lunges
- Go surfing
I’m sure there is a number of things on the list you could do and maybe some new ones you could try.