Well we are moving into 2017 and it will also be a big number birthday for me. If you read my blog last year, you would know that I’ve changed my mind about New Year Resolutions and I don’t make them anymore. If you want to know why I don’t think they are important just click here on the link. Why you should forget New Year Resolutions
So to 2017, can you believe it?
This year I’ve decided to make a list of all the things I would like to do in 2017. Some are new things to try, others are things that I want to do more regularly and others are just because. I also decided to make a list because I’m a list girl and I love ticking off when I’ve completed something.
We get so caught up in day-to-day life, even when we are retired. I don’t know how many times I’ve thought – ‘how did I fit all this in and work full-time as well?’
Making a list of things that are not day-to-day but things I actually want to do will help me to make sure that my life has a lovely balance.
Balance was my word for 2016 but unfortunately, I struggled with trying to find it. So in 2017 I’ll be taking a different approach.
Here are my 17 things on my ‘to do’ list in 2017 – in no particular order by the way.
1. Gardening – I’ve always been a ‘brown thumb’ so I’d love to discover my ‘green thumb’ this year. Even if I can keep a potted plant alive I’ll be happy.
2. Photography – I’m usually the one that just points and clicks but I’m hoping to improve my photography skills and ‘styling’.
3. Regular Massages – I recently had a massage and it was heaven. With all the exercise I do my poor body takes a beating sometimes. So a regular massage will give my body some love.
4. Yoga Retreat – The Saturday Sisters and I are planning a day of Yoga and Meditation at a Yoga Retreat to revitalise ourselves.
5. Quality time with my darling – 2016 was a difficult year with the death of my father-in-law and caring for my 90 year old mother-in-law. There wasn’t much time to spend with my darling. In 2017 I’ll be working on spendng more quality time with him.
6. Fun Runs – Each year at our Christmas breakfast the Saturday Sisters plan our runs for the next year. This keeps us motivated to keep up our running and work towards some goals.
7. Travel – I love to travel and we have not been able to for a couple of years. 2017 will be a year to plan a holiday.
8. New Recipe each week – cooking can become tiresome and boring so I’m going to pep it up a little and try a new recipe each week.
9. Health & Lifestyle Plan – making a lifestyle plan to keep fit and healthy in mind, body and soul.
10. Time to Play – including some ‘playtime’ and having fun will be part of my 2017 to do list. Laughing more and bringing out my inner child.
11. Crochet a Rug – mainly because I want to finish one! I have started but never finished so this will be a project for the winter.
12. Weekly Home Facial – having facials are a lovely way to indulge but they can be expensive. I’m going to ensure I give myself a weekly facial at home and maybe splurge on a professional one each quarter.
13. Visit Family – I have family in another State who I haven’t seen for many years. 2017 I’m planning a trip to reconnect with them.
14. Keep Learning – like the crocheted rug I start learning Italian but don’t persist. 2017 will be the year I actually speak Italian when I visit the family in Italy. I will also be continuing with free short courses through Futurelearn.com – an active mind is a healthy mind.
15. Listen to music – I used to listen to music but it has been pushed to the background. 2017 will see me introduce more music into my life.
16. Volunteer – giving back to others is not only good for them but also is good for you. I would like to give my time in 2017 and do some volunteer work.
17. Be thankful – I know this gets written about so often but genuinely taking the time each day to give thanks for all that I have in my life.